At Gumnut Dance, kids dance classes Canberra we have been working with our dance teachers to bring mindfulness into our dance programs for every age group.
Mindfulness is a tool, a different way of looking at things, and a way of taking control of our mind, by learning the discipline of directing the spotlight of our attention. It is noticing where attention has gone and turning our attention to what you want to focus on.
At Gumnut Dance we have a toolbox of mindfulness techniques to move kids’ attention to a particular object or activity;
- Movement – physically moving; awareness of movement; how we move; posture of body; bodily sensations; how other things move, animals, objects etc.
- Sound – attentive to sound; present with current moment; what we hear and how we listen; paying attention to sounds in room or body as well as sounds outside; closest and furthest away sound; moving attention between sounds.
- Surroundings – immediate and distant environment; what we see and touch ie shapes, colours etc.
Awareness, attention, control and acceptance can be taught and practiced through mindfulness. Mindfulness has also been known to;
- Help relieve stress, anxiety, depression, exhaustion & irritability
- Reduce emotional reactivity
- Increase empathy and compassion
- Improve self-esteem and self-compassion
- Improve memory
- Increase quality of life and happiness
- and more
The brilliant thing is, body awareness and sensory awareness are some of the most practical keys to mindfulness, so in kids dance classes at Gumnut Dance, we utilise movement, sounds and spatial awareness to bring a mindful practice to children’s experience with us.”